Monday, November 28, 2005

Movement Motion

I am an Isaac Newton. I have a rage for this page. I look at its columns, its arrangements, and I see something more than mere sentences and paragraphs. I see the grasp of history and the lie of coming attractions.

I am first and foremost a stylist. I play with the elements and label them according to my fancy. What was AB01 today is CF09 tomorrow. I have a pocketful of names and I’m quicker than the eye. Where I hide, you cannot see me. Where I take the stars, they’ll never see me.

I am a lofty denier. Come to me with your calculations, your wrought figures, and I will chalk them down to fancies. Arrest me with your singular visions and pertinent insights, and I will point out the errors of your ways. I trifle shortly with few men. Make sure you are at the front of the queue.

I am gayness and pearls, the lost art of Cumberland. I am a Lincolnshire who moved a few miles across the country. My pigeons flew before me, my geese chewed up the ground, my pigs laid out the land. On the days when I am tired I am far too tired to move. Cleaning ladies laugh at me. I am the butt of their cleaning brooms.

I am the lady in red, the turn of the screw. The moon, when it pulls the seas, pulls me too. The waves, when they wave at the sea, they wave at me too. In night, especially, I am clad in my night-shirt. Candles are snuffed by me. Cheese is nibbled by me. I am a dark hallway walk and a fumble for the handrail.

I am a terracotta lift and the sound of a fall. I let go of feathers before I tackle the coal. In my rooms, during late afternoons, I can hear the touch of the clock. As the wind whistles its pendulum, as the wash forces it to go. I touch it with my cleanest hand. I reassure its wood and soothe its precious vinyl.

I am an Isaac Newton in furs and in pain. I am a hospital porterly and a beep on the screen. I walk the longest corridors and snap the cleanest sheets. The air, it falters near me. I am death and the dying, the fall from the moon. I am the great last gasp of planetary stars and precious open eyes by the light of the moon. In silver I am glow boy, a sprinkling of universe dust.

8 Comments:

Blogger Molly Bloom said...

I love the way you have used the Scientific slant in this. Diane - the Scientist - said that she liked the reference to Newton as he is her all-time hero.

I like the idea of using an extended metaphor - you can really feel it pulsing through the language. I also think it is exciting to mix Nature and Science together.

My favourite part is the 'candles are snuffed by me'- this part, in particular to the end of the piece is wonderful. The language use, again, is highly effective especially the subtle assonance of 'coal' and 'fall' across sentences. I'll say it again, so very rich and powerful.

4:02 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This site is one of the best I have ever seen, wish I had one like this.
»

8:12 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Greets to the webmaster of this wonderful site! Keep up the good work. Thanks.
»

12:50 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Very nice site! »

7:36 AM  
Blogger oakleyses said...

michael kors pas cher, polo outlet, longchamp outlet, jordan pas cher, christian louboutin, ray ban sunglasses, nike free, ray ban sunglasses, louboutin pas cher, christian louboutin uk, ray ban sunglasses, christian louboutin shoes, ugg boots, air max, oakley sunglasses, louis vuitton, louis vuitton outlet, uggs on sale, tiffany jewelry, replica watches, tory burch outlet, gucci handbags, longchamp outlet, prada handbags, louis vuitton outlet, nike free run, ugg boots, christian louboutin outlet, cheap oakley sunglasses, jordan shoes, louis vuitton outlet, nike outlet, chanel handbags, longchamp outlet, prada outlet, tiffany and co, louis vuitton, oakley sunglasses, replica watches, polo ralph lauren outlet online, kate spade outlet, oakley sunglasses wholesale, longchamp pas cher, burberry pas cher, nike air max, nike roshe, nike air max, polo ralph lauren, sac longchamp pas cher

7:09 AM  
Blogger oakleyses said...

kate spade, coach purses, mulberry uk, vans pas cher, new balance, true religion outlet, uggs outlet, nike air max uk, nike blazer pas cher, nike free uk, sac hermes, hollister uk, guess pas cher, michael kors outlet, oakley pas cher, burberry outlet, converse pas cher, michael kors outlet, michael kors outlet, michael kors outlet online, michael kors outlet online, nike air max, abercrombie and fitch uk, true religion outlet, north face, ralph lauren uk, michael kors outlet online, michael kors, nike tn, hogan outlet, nike roshe run uk, lululemon canada, ray ban uk, true religion outlet, ray ban pas cher, nike air force, coach outlet, true religion jeans, hollister pas cher, polo lacoste, coach outlet store online, burberry handbags, sac vanessa bruno, michael kors outlet online, timberland pas cher, michael kors, nike air max uk, north face uk, replica handbags

7:14 AM  
Blogger oakleyses said...

north face outlet, gucci, jimmy choo outlet, celine handbags, longchamp uk, nike air max, hermes belt, lululemon, herve leger, bottega veneta, reebok outlet, nike roshe run, vans, iphone cases, nfl jerseys, soccer shoes, mac cosmetics, mcm handbags, timberland boots, ferragamo shoes, oakley, mont blanc pens, babyliss, converse, nike huaraches, wedding dresses, asics running shoes, soccer jerseys, p90x workout, beats by dre, hollister, chi flat iron, ghd hair, instyler, baseball bats, converse outlet, ray ban, valentino shoes, nike trainers uk, hollister, nike air max, new balance shoes, north face outlet, hollister clothing, abercrombie and fitch, vans outlet, ralph lauren, giuseppe zanotti outlet, louboutin, insanity workout

7:19 AM  
Blogger oakleyses said...

thomas sabo, replica watches, moncler uk, hollister, ugg,uggs,uggs canada, barbour, canada goose jackets, swarovski, moncler outlet, canada goose, coach outlet, swarovski crystal, canada goose outlet, barbour uk, supra shoes, moncler, lancel, links of london, canada goose outlet, moncler, karen millen uk, moncler, louis vuitton, doudoune moncler, ugg uk, canada goose outlet, moncler outlet, louis vuitton, ugg, louis vuitton, canada goose, pandora jewelry, moncler, toms shoes, ugg pas cher, marc jacobs, louis vuitton, montre pas cher, wedding dresses, canada goose, pandora jewelry, louis vuitton, juicy couture outlet, ugg,ugg australia,ugg italia, canada goose uk, juicy couture outlet, pandora uk, pandora charms

7:23 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home